Now that we've set up price rule for a group of customers, (tagged wholesale in the video above), the next step is to pick which customers get this special discount.
Customer accounts & tags
In order for the prices on your store to change to wholesale, or to see any wholesale functionality, a tag on the customer account must match a tag that you are using for a price rule in Wholesale Gorilla.
A customer account can be covered in tags, but until there is a match with a discount rule tag they will be treated as a regular retail customer.
Creating wholesale customer accounts
If you already have a customer account set up in your Shopify admin, use this method to convert their account to a wholesale account.
- Go to Shopify Admin and and click Customers on the left
- Click on an existing customer to access their account.
- Scroll down to the Tags section.
- Type in the customer tag (e.g. wholesale) you set up when you created a discount in the previous step.
- Click Save.
When this customer logs into your store, they will see the special price you set in the previous step.
To create a new customer account from the Shopify admin, follow these steps.
- In your Shopify admin click Customers.
- Click Add Customer.
- Enter the customer contact details.
- Add the customer tag you set for the discount rule in the previous step (e.g. wholesale).
- Send the account invite: Next you will need to activate the customer account so you can create a password and log into your store as a b2b customer. In the upper right of the customer's profile page, click More Actions > Send account invite > and follow the on-screen instructions to send the invite email.
- Check the email address you entered for this customer, and click the link to set a password and log into your store.
Not seeing the account invitation email? We can do our best to help, however these emails are generated by Shopify. Learn more about customer accounts in Shopify.
You can also use a wholesale-specific signup page to create new customer accounts. This can be a great self-serve way for buyers to get access to your b2b prices and features.
Note: For this Quick Start Guide we'll only be covering a few features of the signup form. For a complete guide on the Sign Up Page see this article.
- From the Wholesale Gorilla admin click Customers.
- Scroll down to the Customer Sign Up section.
- In the Activation Settings section, fill in the following inputs as needed (all are optional).
- Auto-tag customer: When a user signs up with this signup form this tag (or tags) will be automatically added to their account. Here you can add the tag we set in the previous step.
- Taxes: Optionally mark these customers as tax-exempt or not.
- Auto-activation: If this is checked, customers that sign up through this form will be able to shop your store as a wholesale customer immediately after signup. Keep this unchecked if you would like to review their account before granting them access to wholesale features and prices.
- Scroll up to the top of the Customer Sign Up section, and click See how it looks here to open the signup form.
- Enter your information and submit the form.
- Activate the account
- If you checked Auto-activation in the step above, your customer will instantly get an email allowing them to set a password and log into your store as a wholesale customer.
- If you left Auto-activation unchecked, the store owner will get an email alerting them to a new customer signup. The store owner will then need to manually send an account invite to the customer. To send an account invite:
- From the Shopify admin click the Customers tab.
- Open the new customer account.
- Scroll down to the Tags section, and add the wholesale tag you set when you created the wholesale discount rule.
Up Next: Step 3 - Test Your Configuration