This page goes over the basics of how Wholesale Gorilla works, and will walk you through creating and testing a wholesale discount rule on your shop. This is a great page to read if you’re just getting started, or if you are interested in how Wholesale Gorilla works.
It’s all about the customer tags.
In order for the prices on your store to change to wholesale, or to see any wholesale functionality such as the order limits, the Quick Order form, etc, a tag on the customer account must perfectly match the tag that you are using for a discount rule in Wholesale Gorilla. These tags are case sensitive, so you'll want to be sure that you've added the exact same tag -- and not just the exact same word. Wholesale and wholesale are the same word, for example, but they are not the same tag as the capitalization is different between the two.
All wholesale customers will need an account: In order to be able to log into your store, wholesale customers will need an account for your shop. These accounts can be created through our sign up form, manually, or can be an already existing retail customer account. Please note that your customer can have a customer account profile, which is different from an actual account; in order to log in to the front end of your site, they'll need a full on account -- not just a profile. We'll go over this in a lot more detail in the Customers section of our knowledge base.
🛑 - Are accounts Enabled on your store?
In order for customers to sign in, you will need to make sure that customer accounts are enabled in your actual Shopify settings. You can find this setting on the 'Customers' page of your Shopify admin, particularly by scrolling to the very bottom of the page and finding the 'Customer account preferences' setting. Accounts needs to be set to either Optional or Required. Learn more here.
Create your first wholesale discount
Open Wholesale Gorilla, and click on the Discounts tab. Here you will see a list of all active discounts for your store. On the upper right click Create Discount.
1. Set a discount level - You can create a discount rule for your entire store, a specific collection, certain products, or even specific variants. You'll also have the option of either a 'percent off' or 'set price' style of discount rule. For now let's keep it on entire store just so you can easily see how things work.
2. Choose a customer tag - Here is where the magic happens. Any customers with this tag on their customer account will have this rule applied to prices whenever they are logged in to your store. For now let's set the tag to wholesale. Be sure to remember what capitalization you've used for the word, as tags in Shopify are case sensitive!
3. Pick a discount type -
Percent off: this will set the wholesale price to a % off the current retail price of the product (not the compare-at-price). Note: If you change the price of the item in Shopify via the listing's price box, the wholesale price will be adjusted as well.
Set Price: This will create a fixed wholesale price for the product. It won't change if you change the retail price of the product in Shopify.
Let's choose Set Price.
4. Set an Amount. The % or Currency in the amount input will change automatically based on the Discount Type.
Just so we can easily see how things work on your store, enter $8.88 in the amount field.
Your new discount should look like this:
5. Press Save.
And that's all that there is to it! Below, we will explain how to set up a wholesale customer account and use this same tag to lock the wholesale settings you've just established to their account. Need more info on setting up discounts? Check out this guide.
Create a wholesale customer account
Next we will need to choose a customer account to receive this wholesale pricing. You can visit the 'Wholesale Customers' section in our knowledge base for a detailed look at creating customers, but for now we'll keep things simple. You have two options for setting up a customer account: use an existing account or create a new one.
Using an Existing Account
1. In your Shopify admin click Customers (on the far left).
2. Find the customer account you would like to use in your customers list and open it.
3. In the far right column you will see a section called Tags. Here is where we'll add tags matching the discount rules we have created in Wholesale Gorilla. Our rule was set to use the tag wholesale, so add the tag wholesale to the tags field. Remember - these tags need to match perfectly and are case sensitive, so 'Wholesale', 'whole sale' or any other variation of the tag 'wholesale' will NOT work. It needs to be 'wholesale' exactly as pictured below, as that's exactly how you've saved it to the discount rule.
4. Press Save to update the customer' profile.
Next you can go to the front end of your store as though you are a customer visiting your site. You'll need to log into your shop using this customer account's email & password combo. Once you've done so, you are now logged in to your store as a wholesale customer, and should see the pricing changed per the rule that you've set in the last step.
Creating a New Wholesale Account
1. In your Shopify admin click Customers (on the far left).
2. Click Add Customer.
3. Enter all of your test account details. The most important fields are email, and at the very bottom the tags field.
In the tags field we will need to add a tag that matches a discount rule in Wholesale Gorilla. The discount rule we created earlier was for the tag wholesale, so add the tag wholesale here.
4. Press Save to create the new wholesale account.
5. We will need to activate the customer account so you can login to your store. In the upper right of the customer's profile page, you'll see a button called Send Account Invite. Click this and follow the on-screen instructions to send the invite email.
6. Next you'll need to open your email and click the link to activate the customer account on your store. After setting a password up for the account via that emailed link, you will be able to log into your account within your site. Once you log in, you'll be able to see the wholesale discounts per the above rule that you set up!
Welcome to your wholesale store!
You are now logged into your shop as a wholesale customer. On the account page you will see a link to the Quick Order Form. Only wholesale customers will see this link (meaning customers with a tag on their account that matches at least one discount rule in Wholesale Gorilla).
If you start to browse your store, you will see that all prices are now $8.88. You can now shop your store as a wholesale customer, and checkout just as a retail customer would, except with wholesale prices.
The only major difference you will see from your retail shop is on your cart page. When you click checkout our app will open a shipping address confirmation popup. Shopify requires us to submit shipping information when processing a wholesale order, which is why we need to capture this information before the checkout page.
We offer user guides for all of the settings available within our app, all of which can be found here.